Sunday, July 21, 2013

iTalk Doodle Buddy


Today I am linking up with The Brown-Bag Teacher to discuss iPads.


I will begin by telling a story.

I was sitting on a panel in front of a group of teachers.  We were asked to name one "go to" app.  I decided to name Doodle Buddy since I used it with my kinders all the time.  But before I could answer, I heard a fifth grade teacher answer, "Doodle Buddy".  What?!?  I thought of Doddle Buddy as an app for primary students.  Fifth grade?!?


Doodle Buddy - Paint, Draw, Scribble, Sketch - It's Addictive!
Doodle Buddy



Yep.  Doodle Buddy is a versatile app that can be used with any grade level.  Doodle Buddy allows students to paint, draw or even stamp pictures.  







Unfortunately, I can only share how I use this app with kindergartners.  But I am hopeful, my ideas will spur you brilliant upper grade teachers to come up with even better ideas of your own.  

Here are some ways I use Doodle Buddy with kindergartners:

1)  Patterning
  • Students use two (or three) colors to create a pattern.  Another student has to tell what comes next.
  • I make a pattern with our manipulative bears (example: blue, red, red ... abb) and students have to make that same pattern using two different colors on their iPads.
  • Students use two (or three) shape stamps to make a pattern. 
  • I make a pattern using attribute shapes (example: circle, square, triangle ... abc).  Students have to stamp that same pattern on their iPads, using different shapes.
  • I make a pattern (example: aab) and students make that same pattern on their iPads, but they get to decide if they will make that pattern with shapes or colors or size.
What I am loving about all of this is that my students can quickly make multiple patterns this way.  They can take a screen shot of their patterns and then add it to the photo roll on their iPad.  Pretty cool! Sounds like the beginning of a portfolio to me!

2) Addition / Subtraction
  • Students create a drawing to match an addition or subtraction problem I give them.  They can draw circles / triangles / squares or they can use the stamps.
  • A student creates a drawing and a partner writes an equation to match the drawing.  (Both the drawing and the equation can be created using Doodle Buddy.)
3) Decomposing
  • I gave students a number (example: 5) and students decompose the number.  I had them begin by drawing two squares and then drawing dots in each square.  Then students shared the various ways they had decomposed.  For example, one student drew 3 dots in one square and 2 dots in another.  A different student drew 5 dots in one square and 0 dots in the other square.  Then students erase their responses and come up with a second way to decompose the number.

4) Geometry
  • Students draw and label various shapes.  They can even take photos of a variety of items in the room, open the photos in Doodle Buddy and then label the shapes.

Yep, I L.O.V.E. Doodle Buddy!!!!  What app do you love?  Please link to The Brown-Bag Teacher and let us know.

Love to all,
Camille

9 comments:

  1. How cool, Camille! I will definitely have to check this out. I can see it acting like a whiteboard in 5th grade for showdowns and quick checks. Thanks so much for sharing and linking up! :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Stopping by from love2learn2day to visit. Just downloaded the app! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Camille! I was reading through some of my older posts and kept seeing your name! Miss all those convos via comments! Hope all is well!
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lifetime Replacement is something that you rarely find, while you Buy facebook reviews. Exclusively a few excellent suppliers offer up this. buy 5 star facebook reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. In instance they are interested in your items then they will directly purchase your services online. buy usa likes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you currently willing to accrue global recognition instantly? Social media site Twitter will be an appropriate way for you. After that, you will need to get cheap twitter followers to become well-known to this world. buy twitter follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://www.imageforshare.online/2020/04/kids-drawingeasy-drawing-for-kidsstep.html

    ReplyDelete