Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy Groundhog Day!

I am trying to have more celebrations in my class this year so today we celebrated Groundhog Day.

Prior to today, we read about, talked about, learned about groundhogs.  I found a Smartboard lesson on Smartboard Exchange and used that.  We also named our groundhog.  (I had an old paper groundhog that I had made when I used AIMS lessons.)  The class naming came down to a three way tie between Philly, Luigi, and Smartypants so one of my students suggested giving our groundhog a first, middle and last name.  Thus our groundhog is Philly Luigi Smartypants.

Today we began by predicting whether or not our groundhog (Philly :) would see his shadow.  After we made our predictions, I asked students to justify their answers.  Their responses were great.  "Yes, because I saw my shadow when I was walking to school."  "No, because I saw some clouds and I think it will be too cloudy to see shadows this morning."  But obviously, most of my students know that in our sunshiney area, we WILL see shadows (even in winter).  Here is our prediction chart:


Here is the one and only Philly Luigi Smartypants ... and yes, that is his shadow that you see!



I am not allowed to post student photos so this is not a great photo of children, but it gives you an idea of a typical winter day in my neck of the woods.  This is us at recess at 10:30 on Groundhog Day.


Later we wrote about Philly and then we made an art project thanks to Kerri at Teacher Bits and Bobs.  I forgot to take photos of the adorable finished groundhogs.  But you can check out Kerri's here.  I love, love, love everything that Kerri shares!
Happy Groundhog Day to all!
Camille

5 comments:

  1. Aw Man!(hitting the side of my head) That was a cute idea to take the groundhog outside to see his shadow! Wish I would have thought of that! I have an adorable Groundhog that I made form Build a Bear. There is always next year...

    Have a super weekend Camille!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great prediction graph! How fun that they got to go outside to see if their predictions were true or not!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun! I'm impressed with your ambition to have more celebrations!! Those days usually stress me out!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camilla,

    Oh, I just love the naming and shadow activity. I'm going to pin it to Pinterest for next year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute shadow idea!! I will put that one in my file for next year!!
    Thanks!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete