Monday, February 13, 2012

One Hundred Letters in My Name

We just (finally) completed one of my favorite Hundreds Day tasks.  I got this idea from Mathwire a million years ago (really).  First, I gave each child an empty hundreds grid and their job was to write their name over and over to fill that chart.  Then they picked one color and colored ONLY the capital letter in their name whenever it appeared on the chart.  For example, Mike's name begins with M so he colored every M on his chart.
Mike
Then comes the really cool part.  Once everyone is finished, they look at the pattern that is made on their chart and see if they can find anyone else with that same pattern.  If (when) they do, their job is to figure out WHY their patterns are the same.  Here are some of the patterns:
Caleigh

Zaiden


...and here are two girls with the exact same pattern:

Diana
Stacy
Sometimes it takes my students awhile to figure out why some patterns are the same and some are different.  But once they figure it out, they have that beautiful aha moment and they go a little crazy running from group to group to check out their theory.  In case you have never done anything like this before, I will let you figure out why each pattern turns out the way it does.  I so love math!  Problems like this make me smile because of the beauty of our number system.  (I am a geek, aren't I?!?)

Love to all,
Camille

7 comments:

  1. I totally want to do this!!!!!! Love it!
    I believe that you (Camille) and I (Kristin) would have the same pattern. :) :)
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun idea! I can just see their faces as they figure it out! Thanks for sharing it.
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! I'll have to file this one away to use next year. Thanks for sharing.
    http://mskerriandherkrazykindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a fun activity.
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Camille,
    I read your profile and love what you said about having an open door and wanting to help others. I need your help. :o) I am new to blogging and am curious how when I leave a commment how can I add the direct link to my blog without always having to type it out ( like when your have your name and under it the link open door? Can you email me tips thanks so much - mandysmom99@aol.com
    Come visit me and check me out I'd love your input. God bless!
    ~ Vicky
    http://traditionslaughterandhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com
    http://www.vickymoore2.com
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all,
    I replied to Vicky's comment personally, but then I thought others might like to know how to directly link your comments to your blog. I learned from the AMAZING Jenn Bates. Here is a link to her post that gives you the code to do this.
    <a href="http://finallyinfirst.blogspot.com/2011/07/direct-linking-in-comments.html/>Finally in First</a>
    In case this code doesn't work, here is the link info that you can cut and paste:
    http://finallyinfirst.blogspot.com/2011/07/direct-linking-in-comments.html

    If you are using a pc, this should be smooth sailing. If you are using a Mac (like me), there may be a glitch. Jenn's husband (a true tech wizard) figured out a way around the glitch. Mac users should look for xPad on their computers. This is like a tiny notepad. I saved the special code to xPad and then just open up xPad and use my direct linking code to cut and paste to my delight.

    Hope this helps!

    Camille

    P.S. While you are at Jenn's blog, look around at her other blogging tips. I have learned so much from her! (Jenn if you are reading this: THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! So much for my direct linking abilities!!! What a mess! If you really want to learn how to direct link, go to the master: Jenn Bates at http://finallyinfirst.blogspot.com/2011/07/direct-linking-in-comments.html

    Sorry for the mess in my previous comment!!!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete