Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Family Picnic

What do you do to build community?  I would love to hear ideas from you all!

I am always trying to build community both among my students and among my parents.  Last year I had a kinder / first grade combination class so it was especially important to blend the two sets of parents.     One activity that I did after two weeks of school was to host a Family Picnic on a Saturday.  All of my students and their families were invited.  It was very simple and very low key.  We held it at school on one of the playgrounds from 11:00-1:00.  I asked everyone to bring their own lunch.  I planned ahead and got a key to the nearby bathroom.  (One year I forgot - never again!!!)


For the photo, I had to delete a few heads so no faces would show up so this photo makes me laugh!  Hmmm ... I wonder if you can find the three people that are missing heads.  I'm the lady (with my head still attached) on the far right.  

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'd love to touch base when getting ready for student-led conferences

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurel, Hurrah! We will be partners in crime! (That doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean!)
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing...I am from a small community and everyone knows everyone, this is even my 3rd time around with some families. So I am going to be curious to see what others have in mind...
    Here We Go Loopty Loo

    ReplyDelete