Sunday, July 10, 2011

Writers at Work


"Writers at Work" is the title of a bulletin board in my room.  Every student has a designated space on the board.  Each month a new writing sample is placed on the board on top of the previous samples.  That way students and parents can look through the child's posted samples to see the amazing progress that has been made in writing.  Then at the end of the year, all of the writing for each child is bound together in a writing sampler.  This is given to the families as a reminder of growth in kindergarten / first grade.  (Special thanks to Marlene for this GREAT idea!)
The writing samplers begin with a note to the child and then a poem introducing the book to parents.  I have created links for my cover, poem and a sample note.  Unfortunately, I could not get my adorable graphics to copy into Google Docs so you'll just have to take my word for it:  the graphics were totally adorable!!!

In the photo of the bulletin board some of the students were kinders and some were first graders.  This writing was done in April when we were studying fish.  The artwork is a directed drawing that we did together and then I gave each student a fish sticker to add to the picture.  Then the first graders had to write a descriptive paragraph about "their" fish.  The kinders had to write two sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment